You can help the process along by being patient and thorough and by following these home insurance tips:
- Document the damage. Note the date and time of the storm and damage you can see from the ground. Take photos of visible damage to your roof, siding, HVAC system, and interior. Also, snap a photo of any remaining hailstones (pro tip: place another object next to the object for size comparison). The National Storm Damage Center recommends searching online for news coverage of the storm to substantiate your claim.
- Contact two or three reputable storm recovery companies to request a complete inspection and repair bid. Note: The inspections should be free, and you should not feel pressured to sign a repair contract at any time. Learn how to choose a roofing contractor here.
- Contact your insurance company ASAP. Most insurance policies set a time limit on when you can file a claim, so don’t put off making the call. Contact the claims department directly, notify them of the storm damage, and provide them with all of the documentation and repair proposals you’ve assembled. Schedule a time for the insurance adjuster to inspect the damage, and ask your roofing contractor to be there, too, so they can compare notes.
- Ask for a second inspection if necessary. If a reputable roofing contractor thinks you have sufficient damage for an insurance claim, but your adjuster says you don’t, ask for a second inspection. That’s your right as the insurance policy holder.
- Ask questions. Roof insurance settlements are mathematically complex and involve deductibles, depreciation, and, typically, two separate payouts. Don’t be intimidated by insurance jargon. Ask questions until you understand what your policy covers. An expert roofing contractor can help you navigate the process.
At Clayton Restoration, our number one goal is to earn “customers for life.” We are never just after a quick sale!
Clayton Restoration is recognized for exceptional installations and quality repairs at the best price. If your home is in need of roofing, gutters, insulation or siding, contact Clayton Restoration Company today!