Even minor roof storm damage can lead to leaks and costly repairs, so it’s important to be proactive after a storm. Any time you have high winds or hail in your area:
- Check your attic for leaks and water stains. If you spot a problem area, you likely have some roof damage to address.
- From the ground, inspect the condition of your shingles. Hail will leave black dimples in asphalt shingles and sharp splits in wood shakes. Wind can curl shingles or tear them completely from your roof. Assess damage to flashing, gutters, and exhaust pipes. (If you suspect damage to your roof that you can’t see from the ground, call a professional to have a look; they have the tools and expertise to safely inspect your roof.)
- Check your yard for shingles or metal pieces that may have blown off in the storm.
- If a tree falls on your roof, stay out of your home until it can be inspected for structural damage.
- If you see significant loss of shingles or even holes in your roof, call a professional to help you cover them with tarps. Be sure to keep receipts from any temporary repairs you make so you can submit them to your insurance company for reimbursement.
- Thoroughly document any damage you see.
If you see, or even just strongly suspect, roof storm damage, contact your insurance company immediately, and describe the situation. Before you call, check out our tips for working with your homeowners insurance.
Clayton Restoration is your local roofing specialist. We are recognized for exceptional installations and quality repairs at the best price. If your home is in need of roofing, gutters, insulation or siding, contact Clayton Restoration Company today at 314-266-6379.