A well insulated home is the best, most cost efficient way to reduce energy waste and lower your energy bills. Good insulation provides your home with the optimal thermal performance, protects you and your family from unhealthy air and helps to control moisture, which can lead to mold and mildew. According to the Energy Star website, depending on where you live, insulating your home can save you up to 20% on your energy bills annually.
So, where do I need insulation?
Most homeowners don’t realize that insulation can be added to more areas of a home than just the attic. According to the Department of Energy (DOE), your home should be insulated from top to bottom. Some of the main areas to insulate are:
- Between and above floor joists in unfinished spaces
- Attic access door
- Between the studs of “knee” walls
- Between studs and rafters of exterior walls and roof
- Ceilings with cold spaces above
- In joist spaces
- Between living spaces
- Unheated garages, shed roofs and storage areas
- Foundation walls above ground level
- Foundation walls in heated basements
- Full walls, both exterior and interior
- Above cold spaces (i.e. vented crawl spaces and unheated garages
- Sections of floor that are cantilevered beyond the exterior wall
- Slab floors built directly on the ground
There are many types of insulation available, from blanket rolls, loose fill and blown-in to sprayed foam and rigid fiber.
Insulation can be made from many different materials including fiberglass, plastic, mineral wool and natural fibers. To decide which type and material is best for your home, consult with a professional who can walk through the options, as well as their pros and cons.
We are also experts in Commercial roofing, Residential roofing, Insulation and Siding.
We are recognized for exceptional installations and quality repairs at the best price. If your home is in need of roofing, gutters, insulation or siding, contact us today!
At Clayton Restoration, our number one goal is to earn “customers for life.” We are never just after a quick sale!