Slate is a natural mineral that forms from mudstone or shale. It’s unique in that it doesn’t need any type of cementation to hold its particles together. It’s also very attractive, which makes it a popular choice for luxury homes.
On the plus side:
- Slate is quite simply a beautiful product. There really is no comparison when it comes to looks
- Slate offers almost unlimited choices when it comes to size and thickness. And even though its color is largely determined by the amount of iron it contains, it is possible to find slate in a variety of shades.
- Slate roofs should last as long as your home does, a big plus when considering the cost to replace a roof every 20 or so years.
- Slate is fire proof where most roofing materials are fire resistant.
- Eco-friendliness. Because it can last up to 100 years, slate is much more environmentally friendly than other roofing materials that will need to be torn off, thrown in landfills and replaced every 20-30 years.
The more you know…
Slate offers much to be desired in a roof, but as with any product, there are some considerations to keep in mind:
- Quite simply, slate is heavy (800-1,500 pounds per square). So heavy in fact, that you’ll want to make sure your home is structurally sound enough to support it.
- Slate roofing isn’t a material you can let just anyone walk on without knowing what they’re doing.
- Replacing slate tiles isn’t as easy as replacing asphalt tiles. Slate comes in lots which means it can be very difficult to find matching tiles.
Did You Know: The majority of mined slate is used for roofing because it doesn’t absorb much water and it can withstand freezing temperatures.
We are also experts in metal roofing, architectural shingles, asphalt shingles, Shake, Tile, Flat, Low Slope, Mansard, Gable, Hip and Shed/Garage roofs.
We are recognized for exceptional installations and quality repairs at the best price. If your home is in need of roofing, gutters, insulation or siding, contact us today!
At Clayton Restoration, our number one goal is to earn “customers for life.” We are never just after a quick sale!