Cedar shake siding provides an authentic natural look to the exterior of your home. The rough texture of shake siding planks provides a rustic look that blends beautifully in a rural or tree-covered setting. They are about as low-maintenance and durable as vinyl or aluminum siding, but at a premium price.
Cedar shake siding is installed in the same manner as cedar roof shingles. Individual wood boards overlap to completely cover your home in a natural texture. The only difference is that siding shakes are machine cut to give them a more professional, elegant appearance. Left untreated, cedar shakes will discolor and soften.
Maintaining cedar shake siding is fairly simple:
- Check periodically for damaged or loose boards; nail down or replace as needed.
- Wash every spring or summer with a garden hose. If you prefer using a power-washer to get the job done, be sure to use a low setting and proceed carefully as the high-pressure can damage wood.
- Trim trees and shrubs to keep them a minimum of two feet away from the siding.
- Keep your gutters clean so that they don’t overflow
Along with regular maintenance, treating your siding is a must in order to avoid the possibility of rot. There are different ways to finish cedar shake siding depending on the look you want to achieve.
- A solid-color stain or paint will give cedar siding a more formal appearance,
- For a more rustic appearance, use a transparent stain or clear waterproofing treatment.
Cedar shake siding should be treated about every 5-10 years to keep it in top condition. Before applying stain or paint follow these pro tips:
- Nail down loose cedar shakes
- secure loose shakes
- replace rotten or damaged ones,
- fill blemishes with putty or caulk.
We are also experts in Commercial roofing, Residential roofing, Insulation and Siding.
We are recognized for exceptional installations and quality repairs at the best price. If your home is in need of roofing, gutters, insulation or siding, contact us today!
At Clayton Restoration, our number one goal is to earn “customers for life.” We are never just after a quick sale!